Monday, February 8, 2010

She does nothing for me.

From one of the blogs I follow. I'm patiently (impatiently?) waiting my turn to write my own…
:D
(Think about how we do NOTHING for Him. Yet His entire purpose is surrounded about us… *…Mind Blown…*)


FOOL FOR LOVE: She does nothing for me.

I’d say about 90% of the time, she does nothing. Literally. She simply lies there. She can’t tell me a joke or run an errand. She doesn’t ask me how I’m feeling or give me birthday presents. She can’t even roll over or lift her head.

But I love her.

She’s my daughter.

From the moment she shattered my 6-year-old understanding of what my family was and broke into my world, I was taken by her, smitten with an unconditional love. Pink and wiggly with eyes that could barely open, I knew that I would do anything for her. Forever. Even now, when she can do nothing for me.

Photo Credit – Getty Images: Studio Paggy

So can’t talk or walk, clean up after herself, or help with dinner. She never changes her own clothes or gives herself a bath. She doesn’t care to let me sleep more than three hours at once or spend my free time on personal hobbies.

And yet I’m not angry because I love her.

She’s my daughter.

The best writers – especially those with a spiritual touch – have tried for ages to capture the definition of unconditional love. The limits of language only leave us with similes and metaphors for what such a love could be like. Omnipotent gods are said to love frail humanity with such a love, but being the object of unconditional love doesn’t quite make its reality clear in your mind. Maybe that’s the point. Because you can offer no reciprocal gift, you don’t quite realize that a transaction is even taking place.

Omnipotent gods don’t spit up on you when you just changed clothes or cry when they’re hungry in the middle of the night.

I held her in my arms and looked at her 8-hour-old face and knew that I loved her with a unique and unconditional love. She could do nothing for me. There was no material benefit she provided in my life, and still, I loved her.

My love for my wife – while unconditional now – was once predicated on attraction and compatibility. While dating, interests and conversations had to be aligned or appreciated before a mysterious, irrational, overwhelming love could swoop in and swaddle us. And now, nearly eight years after falling in love with her, we’ve created not just a baby who will look like us, but we’ve created a category of love that stands beyond us and consumes us, taking us to a point where we love like we’ve never loved before.

All You Need Blogger: Sam Davidson via Ophelia's Webb

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I really loved that and it was a father writing too. Thought it was the mom at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason it became even more beautiful for me when I realised too it was the father.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »