Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Question:

I have a simple question hence a short post.
Please do not interpret this to be me looking down my straight nose through half moon glasses at those of you who do this. I'm just trying to understand.

So: ho, bitch, bintch, hefa, etc are words that I often hear one female call another. And in an affectionate way too. This where I kinda do a double take after I think about it. (If I don't bother to think about it, it doesn't register.) These terms are alright to use provided those using it are comfortable doing so with each other. Until a guy uses it on you as well… Liken this to the use of "nigger." It's ok for a black person to use this but as soon as it comes from a person with less melanin it's a problem.

WHY?
If you are using these terms on yourselves why is it an issue when others use it?
Just because connotations and mutual understanding are different?

Please help/explain. If you get it that is.
Graçias

xx
KD

2 comments:

  1. oh this question comes up so many times. I would never use these terms because me and the other female are comfortable or call someone the N word.
    WHY!?!
    Because no matter the fact that ppl say they have taken over the word and the meaning and turned it from a word of hatred, and the whole dehumanizing use of it and the fact that it was used as a patronizing and derogatory term - IT IS WHAT IT IS!(blame Sam lol) it's a racial slur, a mean and crude way to refer to ppl of African/Black descent, it's not appropriate to be used or claimed by anyone! If you look it up in the dictionary or online, it does not define it as a terms of endearment or a greeting, I don't care if urban dictionary says that because it's not an 'urban' word if I may say so.
    Also on the subject of who can use the word - Sorry to say but black people did NOT create the word so they cannot sit and say they have risen above and hence use it as a greeting if they don't want white or other ppl of other races to use it. You have not risen above. Who has the right to decide who can and cannot use a word, you did not even create! URRRGGHH!
    Also these terms used to refer to females.. downright DISRESPECTFUL. I don't care if you know some women who use it comfortably or some guys that use it. I am not any of those words, I do not consider myself as someone to be called or referred to by these terms either. I respect myself and will not subject myself to being called by these insulting words. I try not to call others by these names either though in anger sometimes it has slipped (but I'm working on it!)

    now I'm all worked up. lol. okay deuces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. LOL you truly are worked up about it. I mean I get that those who use it don't not mean it in a hateful way. It's just the choice of word I'm wondering about. Like the way swear words are considered adjectives by some as opposed to offensive ones… like …really?

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »