Thursday, October 1, 2009

I AM My Hair.

WOOOO!!! I just had my hair did!! And its fly!! (No, literally, you should see the Minnesota ice air blowing it into my face and blinding me. Silly thing. ;) )
A couple hours ago I couldn't even get my big toothed afro comb through the thing and now I can wrap it even!!! (Can you tell how excited about it I am??? :D)

So anyways, there is this thing going on in my school where girls left, right, center, above and below (trust we scots to go there too) are cutting their hair. And I don't mean the short bob like Mandy Moore oooo, I mean short like Solange! (One even has a Cassie. She might have changed her mind half way? Idk) Their excuse: "My hair is too straight!"
To think the ones whom Africans looked to and began to perm their hair are actually sick of it now and want curly hair!!! We humans are NEVER satisfied with what we have, are we? ARGH!

My hair is permed, but Lord knows this thing is only "straight" for the first 2 weeks after a perm and then its back to the frizz. And I'm looking on as head after head is shaved thinking nnooooo and I realise just how much I love my hair and how like it I can be.
Before my hair was permed I never did it myself. I couldn't. It was long and thick with tight curls that created knots like they were holding on to each other for dear life! I remember my mother would ran a comb which started with 14 teeth through my hair and it'd come back with 10 because those bonds were that tight. On one hand, we both were stubborn without give, on the other we linked strands/hands and refused to let go. I look at my life and the close friends I have to whom I'm holding on to like my curly strands would hold on to each other.

Then I got a perm. Probably because people who had to deal with doing my hair couldn't anymore. I know I couldn't (When I was left to wash my own hair I had to do it in sections…funny). We are both now changed, newly formed in new ways and trying new things.
But most of all, we do not forget our roots. They spring back up, thick, curly and AFRICAN! Intertwined to link strands yet again. Yes, I am mixed and my skin pays some homage to my European side but we are talking hair and I was born and raised and still grow African.

You can take the girl and her hair outta Africa but not the African outta the girl OR her hair!!

As much as I would llooovveee to my full head of knotted hair back, I know I can't shave my head. eish!! There is a reason hair is there to cover the head. haha. Besides I like the fact I can comb my own hair now (sometimes). ;)

NOTE: I repeatedly said Africa because this kpenkpeshi hair is not only in Ghana. But I would like to say here: I'M A PROUD BLACK STAR (with cream) OF GHANA!!! WWOOOOO!!!!

Oh, Happy Independence Day Naija! :)

5 comments:

  1. Ah!!! my baby, I can also tell a story about your hair, it was really tight and knotted, combs loosing their teeth, very true. Here comes the interesting part, my baby would just not sit still whilst I sort out her knotted kpenkpeshi hair, so I had to fill the bath and put in all her funky plastic toys, so she could get busy either trying to clean them, fill them or literally try to drown the dolls or animals, and this would keep her busy and distracted from the fact that her knotted hair was being sorted, GENTLY, otherwise she would SCREAMMMMM!!! this went on for about six years, once a week, how many days will that be???? still have back ache today!!!...lol. So I had to put my foot down, no sitting still!!!! eh!! baby RASTA....it will be (Bob Marley style)Obviously my baby wanted to look cool and pretty.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. tRue word.. but i think i am going "solange" very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @"Anon" LOL. sorry about your back ache! I love you still.
    @Abena seriously?? again? when? I was just admiring your hair style

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be cutting mine soon too.

    When are you updating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOON, These wheels in my head are turning! :) Thanks for reading and following!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »