Saturday, August 20, 2011

Road Blocks

I have a lot of issues I deal with, and depending on who you ask, they'll agree. But I think my biggest issue, one that rears it's head over and over again, is pride.

I have never been the most social of people. I'm the one who'd leave happy hour early to go watch a movie (on my own) or lounge about with the sax playing as I skype the 1 person out of 54 on the contact list. I'd sooner text than call and I do not mind my own company (or so I try to make myself believe). As a result I have numerous "Hello, Hi's" that stay just that way. My friends who I would call and I can talk to, I can count on one hand and I wouldn't even need my 6th finger stub... Why? I'm not sure but it sure doesn't help my pride. In fact, I think it's fed it.

It's fed my pride, because it is the most difficult thing on earth sometimes to ask for help (for me at least). Everyone needs to ask for help. Doesn't matter who you are. But asking is easiest when you KNOW that you can. When you can anticipate (and you are very certain of) your helper's position on being willing to offer it.

It's easier to ask a friend for help / a favour because you know they wouldn't mind or even find they do, they like you enough to at least offer ideas on an alternative solution (right?). But when your friends number a handful, 80% of whom are hundreds of miles away… well, the world can be a very frustrating place. It's even worse when you can't bring yourself to believe that the Jack and Jacob "really wouldn't mind helping you out," so you can't ask because you don't want to put them out.

Result? You burn out the one person you probably CAN ask favours from, then think "OMDz I must be such a pest. I'm gonna stop asking and do this on my own." Frustration builds (a lucky few discover a remarkable ability to be resourceful). All for the lack of built and sustained relationships, pride becomes the limitless b**** leading you down a dark alley with an inconspicuous open manhole.

Some solutions must be obvious to you, right?
Sustain the relationships!
Ask, you never know.
Re-prioritise,
Drink more at happy hour?

Well… I am writing this post now, no?

1 comment:

  1. So i take it this post should be interpreted as a plea for help? lol, you'll do fine bbz, sometimes i think your main problem is less of pride and more of low self believe....but yeah pride DEFINITELY places in the top 3. :p

    Thank God you have other positive attributes that make these friends of yours forgive your "apathy".

    My 2cents...

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »