Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More than meets the eye.

Whenever I see a good-looking guy walking down the street or sitting somewhere minding his own business and I'm caught ogling and probably drooling too, I'd defend myself with "I'm only admiring God's creation." And depending on who I'm talking to we'd launch into how good-looking God must be since we are created in His image and there are some truly truly good-looking guys out there (and girls too for sure, but you know what I mean). And by extension God = Jesus. So Jesus must be good-looking as well. I mean look at the man they chose to act Jesus in Passion of the Christ:

Woooooosssshhhh!
I mean, really, our mighty and majestic Lord and saviour with both the strength of an ox and the gentleness of a lamb. The one sent to save us all from ourselves and bring us home. Naturally, the image we would create of Him is the kind that would make the average female swoon. You know, the strong back and rippling muscles and kind heart, who'd hold you till you stop crying and for once when this person says "everything will be ok," there is no reason to not believe Him. …And I'm swooning now.

I mean, of course, Jesus must look like a god (and by that I'm talk about the human perception of utmost beauty, no disrespect/blasphemy intended here, I beg).

And then I was pointed to
Isaiah 53: 2 - 3
"He grew up in his presence like a young tree, like a root out of dry ground. He had no form or majesty that would make us look at him. He had nothing in his appearance that would make us desire him. He was despised and rejected by people. He was a man of sorrows, familiar with suffering. He was despised like one from whom people turn their faces, and we didn’t consider him to be worth anything." (emphasis my own.)

Can you imagine this though? 
Today, when we look for partners, just partners, we are looking for the strong, good-looking ones. We prefer them a certain colour, a certain height, and oh may God be so good and bless us with one with a talent like expert vocal chords or instrument playing (or whatever strikes your fancy).  Even according to evolution we are looking for the ones who would ensure our safety and would provide for us (with today's "independent woman" thats all nonsense but it works for my purposes). So can you imagine that the SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD was… homely? I can't even imagine it. 

To think looks may have even helped Him score a few more followers sooner. Yet God chose not to give Him looks. …So that we may not be distracted by this beautiful man but actually listen to His words and absorbed their true meaning for ourselves. Perhaps yet another way God insists on having us choose Him and not just a pretty face.

Ever thought about how lacking something the world construes as the standard of beauty and acceptance has potentially kept you on a "straighter" path. I know that's true for me…

xx.

P.S. I hope this does not ruin any romanticized images of a gorgeous looking , well-built saviour. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »