Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yes, I'm blessed but it's not always without stress.

Today and everyday I am grateful for my family, my friends, my health, my education thus far, the fact the my 5 senses work, the fact I can do most things I want to because my family is financially able, the list goes on. Truly, it would seem that I have no right to complain as I better off than a good 90+% of the world's population and I agree. Fully.

BUT!
Irrespective of who you are, what your position in life or situation is, there always comes a time when you are stressed out about one thing or the other that is not going right. And if you have friends who would listen, you are most likely going to talk about it with them and even complain a little (if not a lot).
Back in high school, I would often talk about problems I was having with a close friend of mine and every single time, I would get back something that I would interpret as "you are really selfish for complaining when so many people do not have half of what you do." I was always hurt by this and eventually stopped talking about what was going on with me, even when I was asked. From then on everything was always "going well."
Since then I have grown up (a little more) and better understand what was being said, or rather I've chosen to interpret it in a different way: "Look on the brighter side, at your privileged position and smile." There are still so many things that I can complain about right now, but the challenge is there everyday to look on the brighter side. I’d admit that sometimes (often) I fail to do this and sink into a mellow dramatic depression and listen to sorrowful tunes. But this just turns the world black and I’m end up in an even worse off place than I started.
But on those days where I manage to look on the bright side (which are slowly increasing), and manage to take that extra step to improve my situation, solve my problem or simply forget about things I cannot for the time being change, I am a happier person. I find that I like myself better that way too. And even if I am stuck in my room with nothing to do, I turn up the music, dance about in my PJ’s and sing into that deodorant bottle like no one is watching (and thankfully no one is).
Yes, I am blessed but I still have those times when I sink and it’s really hard to come back up. Even so, I have found my ways and it’s getting easier to look on the bright side.

Here are some:
• Take a nice long warm shower
• Play fun music really loud
• Find friends and talk about nothing
• Watch a comedy
• Write
• Take a long walk
• Pray

Make your own list and try them out when you are sinking. It helps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »