Saturday, June 20, 2009

Today, I will be King

On the 4th of February 2009, I, we, everyone, lost a very important person: King. …And it's now that I realize I don't know his last name.

Maya Angelou said "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." And as I sit here with the tears running down my face, I realize just how true that is. I do remember some of the things he said and some that he did but more clearly do I remember the way his face would light up when he saw me and I'd feel special, like I mattered. As though I was not just 1 in the 2000 Mac students that passed by him but 1 in 1. King took the time out of his day to learn my name and further to learn things about me like my country and was sometimes more excited about the idea of Ghana than I was. He'd take time out of his day to say hi and make me smile, yelling "Roooddaaayy" when he saw me across the cafeteria or "Ghana in the house" when my roommate and I walked in. King had his own problems, big ones too, obviously, since he is safely in heaven but it was still us he cared about and not himself.

There is nothing particularly special about today, June 19th, other than the fact that earlier on I was riding the bus, hauling a wide bar sound system around, when I met King again. Well, someone like him. It was the bus driver. Coincidentally, he was also a big, bald, African-American man with a jolly disposition despite having what some would think is a crappy job. But he welcomed (not just greeted but welcomed) his passengers onto the bus, some of whom by name even and others with a big "Hello, come on in."
Sitting right next to him, he looked at me a went "Boy, you looked so bored" and smiled and right away my day brightened. In the 6 minutes I was on the bus we talked about my job and school, and he told me a mini love story about his son and ended with "go to law school." :) …I didn't catch his name.

There are way too few King's in the world and therefore way too little love. I don't mean the high in the sky on cloud nine kinda love but the simple love, the love that "takes a determination to show thoughtful action when there seems to be no reward." (I'm not sure who said that).
I said to myself at his memorial that I would be King, I have not been altogether successful with this yet, but again I make this vow and will literally write it on the wall as a reminder everyday, saying "Today I will be King."

Rest in Perfect Peace my friend. I'll see you soon.
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »