Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thoughts become things.

So recently I was introduced to a book: "The Secret," the basic idea of which is that your thoughts become things.
It sells the idea that "the universe" is like a genie and your wish really is its command. The things you think about and expect are the things you get. Meaning that all the bad things that are going on with you are things you have also "wished for" as you've thought it about them over and over again. Yes, you probably thought "I really do not want huge bills this month," but the "universe" apparently doesn't hear negatives but rather, "I really do not want huge bills this month."

"Thoughts become things," sure, but a big word I feel should be included in there is "eventually" making it "Thought eventually become things". The following might give some insight on how:
"Watch your thoughts, for they become your words.
Watch your words, for they become your actions.
Watch your actions, for they become your habits.
Watch your habits, for they become your character.
Watch your character, for they become your destiny."
-often attributed to Frank Outlaw

As it is suggested above, you are not likely to receive a check for $100,000 a month just by sitting on your behind and thinking about it but doing nothing. In a review of The Secret (the movie), one person said,

"What the 'Secret' fails to convey is that once your 'wish' is out there, the answer you get from the universe is usually 'opportunity'. You still have to recognize that opportunity has arrived, be willing to seize it, and then work your butt to make that opportunity pay off "

I probably could not have said it better. Thinking about something over and over again simply puts you in the mindset of wanting whatever it is that is consuming your thoughts, and therefore you would tend to begin to act on those thoughts whether or not you are conscious of it. I'm not asking that you giving up on thinking on things and expecting them to happen because doing that DOES put you in the right frame of mind to work towards it. In case you missed it, note the phrase "work towards it" in that last sentence.

"I've always worked very, very hard, and the harder I worked, the luckier I got" - Alan Bond

Even thinking "I want to have a good day today" is something you would work towards. By keeping the thought in mind you are bound to smile more and enjoy the day. I tried it and managed to find a good time even in the fact I had just cut into my finger hauling my life on small dollies from one end of campus to another. What I paid attention to was the friends I had helping me, the laughter we shared and the fantastic weather.

Admittedly, I have not yet finished the book or watched the movie so I might be missing somethings here. But within it all, a positive attitude can hardly be a bad thing. So smile and expect good things to happen to you, some of which of course you have to work towards.

…*I'm having a good day today* :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by KuiDee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »